as of 28/5/2020
aachen tourist service e.v.
- For the time being there are no guided tours and city tours. A gradual introduction of city tours is planned from June onwards.
- The Tourist Info Elisenbrunnen is currently only open Thu. + Fri. from 12:00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m. and on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m..
- Our Service Centre can still be reached from Mon. – Fri. from 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. at +49 241 18029-50 or email@example.com.
- Please note that we require all cancellations in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Since 18/5/2020 overnight stays in tourist accommodations and on campsites have in principle been permitted again. This also applies to for travellers from the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland or the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- Here you can book the Aachen hotels directly online.
- Here you will find an overview of our package offers.
- Since 11/5/2020 the camper site Stellplatz Bad Aachen is open again on a self-catering basis. The sanitary facilities are closed.
- From 30/5/20 coach tours are basically allowed again.
- From 29/5/20 onwards the CityTour buses will again drive through Aachen and the surrounding area. Details of hygiene measures in the buses can be found at www.citytour.de. Tickets are available at the Tourist Info Elisenbrunnen.
Border triangle (Germany/Belgium/Netherlands)
- Dutch and Belgian nationals may not travel to Aachen or Germany without a corresponding certificate until further notice.
- Germans are not allowed to travel to Belgium.
- Tourism from Germany is still not welcome in the Netherlands.
- The tourist use or crossing of borders on the Vennbahn-cycle track is prohibited until further notice.
- Since 11/5/20, restaurants, cafés and pubs with seating and food offerings have been open again.
- Guests are registered by name in order to better identify and trace possible infections.
- As a rule, guests are only required to wear a mouth-and-nose cover when collecting food from the restaurant and café.
- Bars and discos remain closed.
- All retail shops, shopping malls and weekly markets in Aachen are open again.
- Customers are obliged to wear a mouth and nose cover in accordance with the Corona Protection Ordinance.
Sights & Museums
Besucher sind zum Tragen einer Mund-Nase-Bedeckung nach der Coronaschutzverordnung sowie der Einhaltung der erforderlichen Abstands- und Hygieneregelungen verpflichtet.
- The Aachen Cathedral is generally only open for prayers.
- Since 3/5/2020 public services are again celebrated in Aachen Cathedral, taking into account numerous safety and hygiene measures.
- There will be guided tours of the cathedral from 1/6/20.
- Since 12/5/2020 the Aachen Cathedral Treasury has been open again regularly.
- A maximum of 30 people are admitted at the same time.
- Tickets are only sold in the Cathedral Information Point
- Since 5/5/20 the Ludwig Forum for International Art (Jülicher Straße) and the Centre Charlemagne (Katschhof) have been open again during regular opening hours.
- The number of visitors will be limited to 50 in the Ludwig Forum and 30 in the Centre Charlemagne.
- Visitors are requested to purchase time slot tickets (2 hours) in advance via the relevant websites: Ludwig Forum / Centre Charlemagne
- The Couven Museum and the Newspaper Museum, which are more cramped, are not yet scheduled to open.
Neuer Aachener Kunstverein (NAK)
- Since 7/5/2020 the Neue Aachener Kunstverein (Passstraße) is open during regular opening hours.
- The number of visitors is limited to a maximum of ten people at a time.
- From 23/5/2020 the Kunsthaus NRW (Abteigarten, Kornelimünster) will be open again on weekends and public holidays.
- From 1/7/2020 the regular opening days and times will apply again.
- Since 8/5/2020 the Energeticon (Konrad-Adenauer-Allee, Alsdorf) has been open with restricted opening hours.
Further cultural and leisure facilities
- A large part of the cultural and leisure facilities (e.g. cinemas, theatres, indoor swimming pools) will remain closed.
- The Cineplex Aachen offers a drive-in cinema on the Bendplatz. More information on the website
- The Aachener Tierpark (Obere Drimbornstraße) is open again. Please note the further measures and restrictions on the website.
- Since 20/5/20 the open-air swimming pool Freibad Hangeweiher is open again.
- Major events are prohibited until at least 31/8/2020.
- At www.aachen-tourismus.de/en/discover/events we will inform you about current major events from 1/9/2020 as well as other smaller events.
Local public transport
Please visit www.aseag.de to find out about the current situation in public transport.